Pages

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Viking Kaftan Planning

Damn spotlight and it's 40% off sale. I am now broke. And I have a whole list of new projects, none of which are for me.
Navy blue cotton/linen - Daniel cloak lining
Khaki cotton/linen - Dan viking tunic
Blue cotton velveteen - Daniel doublet
Green/white herringbone wool - Daniel kaftan
Grey wool - Daniel cloak
Same grey wool - Dad kaftan
The viking kaftan is probably first on the list for Daniel, and it will be made something like this. A lot of the kaftan recreations I found online referenced this picture and pattern, but it took a bit of searching to find the actual article because the link that kept coming up (http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/Costume/Rus/Trader/Rus_description.htm) was broken. Luckily the viking answer lady had the name of the author (Peter Beatson), so I searched and found it here. I love how detailed and well documented it all is. Makes things easy for me :)
Peter Beatson's Rus Trader Outfit
Kaftan Pattern
I'm not sure I will get to the silk embroidery around the collar and cuffs. I would prefer to tablet weave something fancy, but I will have to search a bit more and see if I can find evidence of that.

My dad is going to make the other cross-over style of kaftan.

Rune showing cross-over kaftan from here
Cross-over kaftan pattern from here
I must have stumbled across the best viking resource page here. It has patterns and reconstructions and stuff from everywhere on the net all in one place as clothing guides, sorted by region. I love it! So much reading to do now.

Oh and by the way, earlier when I said I didn't buy anything for myself... technically not true. I bought three balls of cotton and some pins for a lacemaking A&S class next Sunday which I am pretty excited about, and also a few balls of wool to make myself some socks. Stay tuned :)
Perle 8 cotton and berry pins for lace making
8 ply cream wool for knitting socks

No comments:

Post a Comment