Pages

Sunday 14 December 2014

Smocked Apron

While scouring the internet for more examples of period smocking to pin, I came across a lot of smocked aprons. I have been want to make an apron for a while now. Why not a smocked one?

This was by far the best one I came across. I loved the whole thing. I'm making that. The end.

Finished smocked waist apron.
Smocked apron from Medieval Silkwork
This one came a close second.

apron
Smocked apron from opusanglicanum
I really liked how the first apron wrapped right around the sides of the wearer rather than being narrow and only at the front. I have a toddler and a preschooler who both get their grubby hands all over my skirts so I made sure my apron was super wide. Like 80 cm wide. Which meant I needed 2.4m of fabric (I went with a 3:1 pleating guesstimate which worked out spot on after smocking). The linen I had was 120 cm wide. My ideal apron would be about 80-90 cm long (waist to mid shin), which meant I would have been left with a random 30cm wide 2.4m long piece of fabric.

OR....

I could make two slightly short aprons?

I can't really justify not making two if I could. I might have been able to find a use for that leftover bit but then again I might not have and it would have been a total waste.

So two it is :)
Rolling the fabric around a piece of dowel. This step is essential to prevent the fabric from
getting caught in the machine. Something I learnt the hard way.
Smocking machine threaded and ready to go with 9 rows. I'm using pink thread as I will be removing these threads after I've finished the smocking

Position the edge of the fabric

Start pleating. Getting the fabric to catch evenly along the machine can be tricky. I poke it into the back of the machine using my nail or a small ruler.



As the fabric builds up on the needles, gently slide it off the ends

And then keep going


Until you've finished. Don't forget to tie your ends off.
First row of stem stitch. I'm using 100% silk embroidery thread

Followed by two rows of honeycombs and another of stem

And a wave. Half the pattern is complete

All the smocking finished. The sides and lower edge have been bound with a piece of satin bias binding using stab stitch. I used two strips of linen 120x8cm for the waistband. This gave me a good length to tie it up, but meant I have a join right at the front.

Finished apron

You can see it goes right around my sides

And there you have it. My beautiful smocked apron. And now I have another one to make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment